Thursday, August 20, 2015

Drying some Apples - Part 2

The finished product
 As noted in Drying Some Apples, Part 1, I began experimenting with my new Presto Dehydro this morning.
I picked about 8 lemons from my backyard tree, strained the juice into a wide bowl, and added an equal amount good bottled water. Then I sliced my apples, briefly soaked them in my lemon water, then let them drain in a colander.
Following the instructions that came with the dehydrator, I quickly filled all 4 screens. The booklet suggested a drying time of 3-8 hours. I checked them after 3 hours, and about half were dry enough to remove. They are dry enough when all stickiness is gone, and the slices do not stick together when folded.
I returned the screens and let the remaining slices continue drying. Another hour, and they were all perfect!
To condition them, you leave them out to cool for another hour or so and then you can pack them into Mason Jars or Ziploc bags for storage.

They are great to nibble on. My husband will love them at his lunch break.

Here is a recipe for:

Dried Apple Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment